Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional butter
- Maple syrup
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in sausage.
- Press into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.
- Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. In a skillet, cook scrapple in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 141 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 18, 2014
I made this with polenta instead of grits, and bulk turkey breakfast sausage. It's addicting! I fry it in a non-stick pan without butter. There's enough butter in the recipe to fry it nicely. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm pretty sure there's always going to be a loaf in the fridge. ;-) (By the way, I used Kosher salt and unsalted butter, and it was plenty salty enough from the sausage and cheese).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.