Southern Fried BLT
I’m really not big on tomatoes—but I do like them green and fried, so I decided to try them in a sandwich. It was a smash! If you’ve gotta have cheese, add sharp cheddar to this indulgent twist on the traditional BLT. —Stacy King, Rome, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- Oil for frying
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 12 cooked bacon strips
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- In a shallow bowl, mix cornmeal, flour and pepper. Dip tomato slices in cornmeal mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil until hot. In batches, fry tomato slices until browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, spread each slice of toast with mayonnaise. Layer half of the slices with bacon, fried tomatoes and lettuce; top with remaining slices.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 634 calories, 45g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 985mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Southern Fried BLT in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017