Oven-Fried Green Tomato BLT
I've used this "frying" method on eggplant slices for years, so I decided to try it on my green tomatoes. It worked! Now my family loves them in BLTs. —Jolene Martinelli, Derry, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large green tomato (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 8 cooked center-cut bacon strips
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Preheat broiler. Cut tomato into eight slices, each about 1/4 in. thick. Place egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls; mix salt into bread crumbs. Dip tomato slices in egg, then in bread crumb mixture, patting to help adhere.
- Place tomato slices on a wire rack set in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; broil 4-5 in. from heat until golden brown, about 30-45 seconds per side.
- Mix mayonnaise, green onions and dill. Layer each of four slices of bread with two bacon strips, one lettuce leaf and two tomato slices. Spread mayonnaise mixture over remaining slices of bread; place over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 313 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich in Taste of Home September/October 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.