Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 1 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add bread cubes; stir until crisp and golden brown. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Gradually stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute or until blended. Add the broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Just before serving, add lettuce and heat through. Sprinkle with croutons and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1689mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Aug 10, 2013
LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!!Used medium picante sauce and it added the perfect amount of heat. My family gobbled it up and mom went for seconds.
May 19, 2013
Big hit at the church potluck! I used turkey bacon because my family doesn't eat red meat. Turned out great. Definately a keeper!
Apr 4, 2013
This was in a Quick Cooking issue several years ago and I've been making it ever since. I double and freeze in individual servings. Use fresh spinach instead of lettuce to really kick up the flavor and the nutrition.
Mar 19, 2010
Amazing soup, even my picky husband went back for seconds. Very filling, and it's a nice break from the usual. I've added this one to my repertoire of recipes to choose from when planning the week's meals.
Jan 27, 2010
Recently prepared this recipe for our senior citizens during a monthly cooking class with our registered dietitian - the soup was a hit!
Aug 19, 2009
This recipe is great! I have sent this recipe on real estate post cards to clients, I always get wonderful feedback from this one. I have put the shredded cheese on it and it adds a great flavor as well.
Aug 30, 2008
This sounds good, have you ever thought of using shredded cheese with it too?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.