Green Tomato BLT
I absolutely love tomatoes, any kind, any size. Being from the South, that includes fried green tomatoes. I created a special summer sandwich to show them off. —Hillian Holmgren, Del Rio, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 onion rolls, split
- 4 cooked bacon strips
- 2 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Cut each tomato into 4 slices. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and salt. Pour milk into a separate shallow bowl. Dip tomato slices in milk, then in flour mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tomato slices; cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Mix salad dressing, green onions and dill. Layer roll bottoms with bacon, lettuce and tomato slices. Spoon dressing mixture over tomatoes; add roll tops.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 623 calories, 37g fat (7g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1329mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018