Black-Eyed Pea Tomato Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine the first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Add to bean mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Stir just before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 242 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 4, 2019
Made as written with one exception. Used jarred jalapeño instead of fresh, and it turned out just great. The cool tomatoes counter the peppers for a delightful summer time salad any time of year.