Green Tomato Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced green tomatoes (4 to 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add tomatoes and vinegar; toss to coat.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tomatoes are tender. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 433 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 21, 2014
Good pie recipe, excellent, tastes just like apple pie!!!
Sep 5, 2014
I have made this for my church picnic potluck. When I made it I added apples that I sliced thin and mixed in between the tomato slices. I also added plump raisins to my pie. This was the first time and first time for the church members to try. They all enjoyed it very much and ate it all. [Apples good to use: Granny Smith, Gala, Winesap or Braburn]
Aug 2, 2013
I omitted the vinegar and butter. I added raisins and more cinnamon. Love it!
Oct 9, 2012
A very unique flavor. Taste reminds me of tart apples. Thanks! It is a hit!
Sep 26, 2012
Made this pie and took to a potluck. Everyone thought it was an apple pie! I may add one more cup of tomatoes the next time I make it.
Sep 30, 2011
Since misplacing my recipe that my mother past on to me, I am delighted to have found one that is so similar, the only difference, is that I add raisins to my recipe and my familyjust loves it!
Sep 3, 2010
i HAVE BEEN MAKING GREEN TOMATO PIE FOR YEARS, THIS IS A GOOD RECIPE, HOWEVER I ALWAYS USE 3 HEAPING TABLESPOONS OF TAPIOCA FOR THE FLOUR IN THE FILLING. AS TO THE LADY WITH THE SLIMY PIE. THE TOMATOES WERE PROBABLY VERY JUICY AND MAYBE HER SLICES WERE TO THIN.
Oct 3, 2009
When I made this recipe, it was so slimy that we had to throw the whole pie out. Does anyone know why this would happen?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.