Oven-Fried Green Tomato BLT
I've used this cooking method on eggplant slices for years, so I decided to try it on green tomatoes. It worked! Now my family loves them in BLTs. —Jolene Martinelli, Derry, New Hampshire
- 1 large green tomato (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 8 cooked center-cut bacon strips
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1. Preheat broiler. Cut tomato into 8 slices, each about 1/4 in. thick. Place egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls; mix salt into bread crumbs. Dip tomato slices in egg, then in bread crumb mixture, patting to help adhere.
- 2. Place tomato slices on a wire rack set in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; broil 4-5 in. from heat until golden brown, about 30-45 seconds per side.
- 3. Mix mayonnaise, green onions and dill. Layer each of 4 slices of bread with 2 bacon strips, 1 lettuce leaf and 2 tomato slices. Spread mayonnaise mixture over remaining slices of bread; place over top layer.
1 sandwich: 313 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
Dec 1, 2018Fantastic though we fried our tomatoes
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC