Panko Fried Green Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 5 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3 pieces: 227 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 7, 2019
I had lots of green tomatoes and didn't want to waste them. I made these with just a couple of adjustments. I used cornstarch instead of flour. I also seasoned the cornstarch with our local seafood seasoning mix which is salt, lemon and dill. After frying a couple of batches I would wipe out the frying pan, add oil and allow it to heat up before adding more prepped tomatoes. I kept the cooked tomatoes warm in a 250 degree oven, placed on a rack in a pan so they stayed crispy. I served them with ranch dressing. We ate every one of them and I had doubled the batch. These are delicious.
Jun 20, 2017
Thank you so much for this, my hubs brought home some green tomatoes for me to fry. I am a Yankee and frankly this is something my mom never did. These were delicious and with ranch dressing just a do again.
Mar 7, 2017
Help how do you fry them? I need details. Mine were terrible.
Jul 3, 2014
These are the best fried green tomatoes I have every had
Jul 5, 2013
I love fried green tomatoes and these are GREAT!
Aug 7, 2011
this is a simple an very easy recipe and tasted great