Panko Fried Green Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 5 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3 pieces: 227 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 7, 2019
I had lots of green tomatoes and didn't want to waste them. I made these with just a couple of adjustments. I used cornstarch instead of flour. I also seasoned the cornstarch with our local seafood seasoning mix which is salt, lemon and dill. After frying a couple of batches I would wipe out the frying pan, add oil and allow it to heat up before adding more prepped tomatoes. I kept the cooked tomatoes warm in a 250 degree oven, placed on a rack in a pan so they stayed crispy. I served them with ranch dressing. We ate every one of them and I had doubled the batch. These are delicious.
Jun 20, 2017
Thank you so much for this, my hubs brought home some green tomatoes for me to fry. I am a Yankee and frankly this is something my mom never did. These were delicious and with ranch dressing just a do again.
Mar 7, 2017
Help how do you fry them? I need details. Mine were terrible.
Jul 3, 2014
These are the best fried green tomatoes I have every had
Jul 5, 2013
I love fried green tomatoes and these are GREAT!
Aug 7, 2011
this is a simple an very easy recipe and tasted great