Contest-Winning Fried Green Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- FRESH TOMATO SALSA:
- 5 medium red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cayenne. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and milk. Place cornflake crumbs in a third bowl. Pat green tomato slices dry. Coat with flour mixture, dip into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 4 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Fry tomato slices, four at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Place fried tomatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with the fried tomatoes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 207 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Jun 19, 2015
My first encounter with fried green tomatoes was in Mazatlan at a restaurant called "Tomato". They served them with a kind of Thousand Island dressing. From then on I was hooked. The salsa version looks good too, however, instead of adding sugar, I would add diced pineapple which is a great compliment to many fried foods especially tomatoes.
Mar 6, 2015
Great recipe! But instead of a salsa sauce , I use a chipotle aioli sauce and top it off with crumbled feta cheese ! Delicious !
Oct 3, 2014
This is very good! I ran out of time to make salsa, but the tomatoes are great without salsa. Look forward to trying with salsa.
Jul 30, 2014
Sounds great. Will try this soon. eggyfarts love name you go by. Very original.
Aug 1, 2012
Very nice-also Fuddge-what does butter bread have to do with tomaotes???
Sep 3, 2010
THIS IS ABSOLUTY WONDERFUL.I AGREE I LIKE THE CORN FLAKES BETTER THAN THE CORN MEAL, ALTHOUGH I EAT BOTH.AS TO WHAT IS BUTTER BREAD, MY FATHER SIMPLY OVER BUTTERED HIS BREAD AND IT WAS BUTTER BREAD. I KNOW AN ELDERLY LADY WHO ALWAYS BUYS BUTTER BREAD, FROM A CERTAIN BAKERY , I ASK HER WHAT IS BUTTER BREAD, AND SHE SAID, IT'S A LOAF OF WHAT THE BAKERY CALLS HOMEMADE BREAD BUT SHE ALWAYS CALLED IT BUTTER BREAD,BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HER MOTHER IN SCOTLAND CALLED IT.
Sep 1, 2009
What does Butter Bread have to do with Fried Green Tomatoes?
Sep 1, 2009
Re: Fried Green TomatoesI think this is the best Fried Green Tomato Recipe I have ever made. I have never liked the Corn Meal coating as it tastes gritty to me, but I love the crushed corn flakes. And I felt the recipe to be fairly easy. Maybe a few more steps, but well worth the extra steps and time.CAdams, Tracy, Ca
Jul 28, 2009
boom-booms......please educate me. What is Butter Bread, and can we buy it or do we have to make it?
Jul 25, 2009
The recipe isn't QUICK or easy. I just use salt, flour, and cornmeal and fry in cooking oil. They are a meal in themselves. Love them. Charmaine G., Nashville, TN
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.