Contest-Winning Veggie Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, zucchini, tomatoes, tortellini, spinach, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tortellini are tender. Just before serving, stir in vinegar.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Oct 17, 2015
My mother, 92 years young, has some health issues and is able to eat the ingredients in this soup. I made this not only for her, but for my friends. They loved it!! Thank you!
Jan 3, 2015
Delightful soup. Made it twice already since Christmas. Thank you for the recipe.
Nov 23, 2014
My mom made it, needless to say it was not appealing to my mouth.
Oct 8, 2014
Excellent fresh vegetable soup with an italian twist! One may add roasted chicken for a hearty soup! I used no chicken as I tried this for the first time. I tried with and without the red wine vinegar, I must be in mood for red wine vinegar, I actually did not add vinegar to the pot, just to give it a try I splashed a little in my bowl when I served it. I felt it curved the broth to more of a wine broth. No need to add it. I made this for my mom whom had a hypoglycemic incident today to make her world better. She LOVED it!
Mar 4, 2014
This was very good. I ued Herb Chicken Tortellini in it.
Apr 9, 2013
Delicious! I made the recipe as written, and it was great. My 2 year old loved it too!
Feb 4, 2013
Delicious soup! I used refrigerated whole wheat cheese tortellini which was excellent and plum tomatoes from my freezer.
Jan 5, 2012
Adding a tip: cook the tortellini separately as it absorbs too much broth to cook in the soup itself.
Dec 11, 2011
Fantastic was this soup! Use 32 oz. of broth as it simmers away. I also left out the vinegar, used diced tomatoes, & substituted 1 tsp. each of oregano & basil for the rosemary. Sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Hubby thought it was okay. He's not a fan of zucchini or cooked spinach, but he didn't seem to notice either!
Nov 27, 2011
Made this recipe again and added 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper because my hubby was wanting a spicy soup. He raved about it this time. Also added Parmesan cheese when serving and still did not add the vinegar.