Contest-Winning Ham and Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + soaking Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In the same pan, saute onions in oil for 2 minutes. Add celery; cook until tender. Stir in the beans, water, ham, potatoes, carrot, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaves. Add ham bone. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove ham bone; and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove ham from bone and cut into cubes. Discard bone. Return ham to soup; heat through. Garnish soup with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 25, 2017
This was good but I wouldn't use two Bay leaves. I think it overpowered the other flavors in the soup.
Jan 31, 2015
I love making and trying different soups. Overall I wasn't impressed with the end result and won't be making it again.
Dec 3, 2014
After eating Ham and Bean Soup for 66 years and from not only my own kitchen, but a multitude of others, including my Grandmothers, which was wonderful as was my Mothers. But this recipe has beat all the others hands down..I've never eaten a bean and ham soup this good ever..... I'm going to keep the recipe forever. It's spectacular.
Feb 7, 2014
This was okay but not great. I can only describe the flavor as too "hammy". It seemed kind of greasy even though I trimmed the fat off the bone. I did notice that the leftovers (2 days later) were much improved.
Oct 19, 2013
So very good! Everyone enjoyed this hearty soup! Especially the next day.
Apr 18, 2012
Excellent soup!!! I used 3/4 cup instant potatoes as suggested below and cut the pepper to 1/4 tsp. Very easy to make - I'll be making this again!!!
Feb 10, 2012
This originally didn't have much flavor, but after the leftovers sat a day or two it was much better!
Dec 17, 2010
Delicious! Perfect for a lazy day at home to have sitting on the stove simmering. Very economical and good for you too!
Nov 1, 2009
We LOVED this Ham and Bean Soup; it is the best we've ever had. It was a bit spicy, so the next time we make it we will probably only add 1/4 tsp. pepper. We didn't have celery or leftover mashed potatoes. I added about 3/4 cup of instant potato flakes, and used the dried Great Northern beans. This recipe is definitely a "keeper!"