Best Southern Fried Chicken
Here's a traditional southern fried chicken recipe. My husband is a ham radio operator and we've shared this recipe with folks from all over the world. —Jo Ruh, Covington, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 1 cup canola oil
- MILK GRAVY:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet; brown chicken in oil on both sides. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from the skillet; keep warm. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- For gravy, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with chicken. Garnish with oregano if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 551 calories, 40g fat (8g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Feb 9, 2016
This is my first time making fried chicken, i usually bake. This is an amazing recipe. The flavor was spot on, the chicken was juicy and the gravy was awesome over mashed potatoes. I will definitely make again. Thank you for the recipe