Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep:15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 eggs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; coat the rack with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Dip chicken in eggs, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken: 418 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 23, 2017
this was BEYOND TERRIBLE!....the "egg wash/cracker breading is a disaster" - egg wash cooked skin inner meat was RAW! again; wasted a LB of food -not happy!
Jun 13, 2017
This is super!
Jun 13, 2017
Love that this is made in the oven instead of deep fried.
Oct 5, 2016
This was so juicy! I always have all of these items on hand, and it was fantastic. I love recipes that use a whole chicken because the leftovers are great for sandwiches, salad toppings, or additions to pasta the next day. This is most definitely going to be a regular recipe in my household!
Jul 16, 2016
Really easy, juicy chicken recipe. Perfect flavor though I did add salt.
Jul 10, 2016
This is a great breading for chicken. I brined the chicken in salt/water and that alleviated the tad of missing salt as other reviewers stated. Definitely a keeper!
Jul 6, 2016
Out of this world??! The chicken breasts that I did with this recipe were so succulent my son said,"Mom you out did yourself...fantastic??! Well, needless to say this recipe is a KEEPER??!As side dishes, we had Paula's acorn squash and Green Giant's no sauced peas...What a scrumptious meal. Please enjoy it real soon??.
May 14, 2016
This was really easy and good.The only thing I changed was I didn't add cumin and since I used chicken breasts I baked it a little longer.Will probably make again with thighs and legs.
Jan 5, 2016
I didn't really care for the cracker coating in this recipe. Probably will not make this again.
Nov 14, 2015
Followed this recipe exactly except I baked it a bit longer because my chicken was bigger.Turned out great and definitely beats standing over a fry pan!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.