Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep:15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; coat the rack with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Dip chicken in eggs, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken; bake until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear, 15-25 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken: 418 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2018
Disappointing. The chicken comes out soggy, this is nothing like fried chicken and doesn't even qualify as oven-fried chicken. It comes out slimy and mushy. The seasoning mix is barely detectable. Overall just really blah. Definitely won't make this again.
Jul 23, 2017
this was BEYOND TERRIBLE!....the "egg wash/cracker breading is a disaster" - egg wash cooked skin inner meat was RAW! again; wasted a LB of food -not happy!
Jun 13, 2017
This is super!
Jun 13, 2017
Love that this is made in the oven instead of deep fried.
Oct 5, 2016
This was so juicy! I always have all of these items on hand, and it was fantastic. I love recipes that use a whole chicken because the leftovers are great for sandwiches, salad toppings, or additions to pasta the next day. This is most definitely going to be a regular recipe in my household!
Jul 16, 2016
Really easy, juicy chicken recipe. Perfect flavor though I did add salt.
Jul 10, 2016
This is a great breading for chicken. I brined the chicken in salt/water and that alleviated the tad of missing salt as other reviewers stated. Definitely a keeper!
Jul 6, 2016
Out of this world??! The chicken breasts that I did with this recipe were so succulent my son said,"Mom you out did yourself...fantastic??! Well, needless to say this recipe is a KEEPER??!As side dishes, we had Paula's acorn squash and Green Giant's no sauced peas...What a scrumptious meal. Please enjoy it real soon??.
May 14, 2016
This was really easy and good.The only thing I changed was I didn't add cumin and since I used chicken breasts I baked it a little longer.Will probably make again with thighs and legs.
Jan 5, 2016
I didn't really care for the cracker coating in this recipe. Probably will not make this again.