Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 50 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Refrigerate 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate for basting. Pour remaining concentrate into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until juices run clear, basting with reserved lemonade concentrate every 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Feb 17, 2013
This is one of my Son's favorite recipes. I marinate it overnight and it makes a GREAT Sunday dinner!!
Aug 4, 2012
This is a tasty and different take on fried chicken. I thought maybe the lemonade concentrate would turn out too strong, but my family and I liked the tang the lemonade gave the coating. However, I suggest "dabbing" the butter and lemonade on, not "brushing" it which would disrupt the coating. In order for it to turn out a little more crispy, next time I think I'll baste the chicken only 2 times, not 3 as the recipe indicates, and I did marinate it overnight beforehand. Oh, and tell the food police to take a hike.
Jan 20, 2012
May 30, 2011
I should have marinated the chicken overnight for more lemon flavor, but still the family loved it. The skin had a nice crispness and the meat was very tender.
Jan 26, 2011
this was so delicious...if you prefer light chicken recipes then go to that section...save the reviews for the ones that have tried and like the recipe please. thank you.
May 30, 2009
If I wanted a "light" recipe I would have looked in the "light" section. Perhaps dentaljenn is in the wrong area. This sounds great to me and I plan to try it! Thanks for the posting.
May 22, 2009
I think it sound great and I plan on trying it. Thanks for the recipe.
May 21, 2009
It's not in the light section for a reason guys.
May 21, 2009
Hey turtlemama. the noise you will be hearing will be your arties slamming shut with all that fat. AMO
May 21, 2009
It can not be oven fried when it is cooked in all that oil. Should have gone directly to the oven. jbarb 60