Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes4 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk, divided
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and seasonings. In another shallow bowl, combine egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Dip each cube steak in buttermilk mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on medium-high. Fry steaks for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully; cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and meat is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and remaining buttermilk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 1/2 cup gravy: 537 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 865mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein.
Jul 31, 2017
Great recipe! My husband loved them.
Jun 18, 2015
I didn't use the full amount of flour and seasonings for the portion I was preparing . It is a very nice seasoned flavor, and the gravy was delicious.
Jun 12, 2015
We loved this! At first we found it a bit bland but I made a few adjustments - the 3/4tsp of all the seasonings was increased to 1tsp each and we added 1tsp of each seasoning to the egg wash as well as the gravy. We also only used only enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan versus the 1/2c listed. This worked out great for frying. When it came time to make the gravy - we used 1% milk, added approximately 1/4c of butter (may need a little more depending on how you like your gravy) and the seasonings as referenced above.
Oct 9, 2014
I wish I was better at cooking chicken fried steak. This would be good but way too greasy. I just haven't mastered the frying part.
Mar 10, 2014
I've tried several different chicken fried steak recipes and this is the only one my wife will eat. It has a great flavor of seasonings!
Feb 18, 2014
Very easy and the whole family loved it.
Aug 7, 2013
This is the first time I've been able to make Chicken-Fried Steaks at home where the breading was crispy and stayed on the meat. I double breaded the meat, after letting the first breading sit for about 10 minutes, I just repeated the process.
Apr 10, 2013
Very tasty, and quick too!
Nov 2, 2012
We loved this recipe. Held together well compared to other chicken-fried steak recipes I have tried. I think it calls for more coating than you actually need, so I halve the flour, but keep everything else the same.
Sep 10, 2012
The best I have ever had!