Southern Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or blackened seasoning
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings. Saute the shrimp, garlic and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits and sprinkle with onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup grits with 1/2 cup shrimp mixture: 674 calories, 42g fat (22g saturated fat), 241mg cholesterol, 1845mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Dec 25, 2019
This is on my Christmas brunch menu for the last 4 or 5 years. I use Paul Prudommes Seafood Magic as my spices. It is so easy and yummy!
Dec 8, 2019
I have made this recipe for 2 different parties and all of them loved it. My brother still talks about these grits months later.
Sep 28, 2019
I just made this recipe tonight and it was perfect!! I thought I was back in NOLA at my favorite restaurant!! I did alter the recipe slightly (used only 4 slices of regular sliced bacon and a tablespoon of minced garlic) and it still came out great.
Sep 21, 2019
I doubled the recipe. Kind of anticipated the salt content would be too much, so I backed off a bit. Added parsley
Sep 15, 2019
I have not made this yet but I am planning to very shortly as this recipe sounds heavenly. But I do have a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer. Can you use whole milk instead of the 2% milk? And for those using andouille sausage, how much did you use and did you still add the bacon? Thanks.
Jun 30, 2019
You can sub water for the broth. But recipe is great. To make gravy is to use tablespoon of flour after the shrimp is half way done. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/4 milk and 1/4 water. Stir in, cover, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
Jun 28, 2019
Followed recipe, leaving out bacon. None on hand! Have ordered shrimp
Jun 13, 2019
I made it for the First time ever
May 24, 2019
Let me make it simple. If this is the first shrimp and grits recipe you found, look no further. If it’s not your first, make it your last. Absolute best recipe!! Sometimes I add andouille sausage but it is fabulous with or without!!
Apr 18, 2019
Excellent recipe. I had to make some tweaks based on the ingredients I had on hand but it was great.