Southern Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or blackened seasoning
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings. Saute the shrimp, garlic and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits and sprinkle with onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup grits with 1/2 cup shrimp mixture: 674 calories, 42g fat (22g saturated fat), 241mg cholesterol, 1845mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
May 23, 2018
First time making shrimp and grits and this recipe was awesome! So much flavor and easy to make. I'll definitely be making this again... very soon!
Feb 16, 2018
This is very good and simple to make. This is the first time I have had shrimp and grits. Will be fixing again.
Jan 2, 2018
This is very good. I used a blackened spice that I made. The only other time I have had shrimp & grits was in Nashville, I do believe this was better. I also fixed a corn cake to go as a side.
Jul 7, 2017
Excellent and easy! Have made three times in a month because my son loves it and requests it.
Jul 1, 2017
Jun 28, 2017
Hmm Looks very nice.Thanks to add this shrimp recipe.This recipe is easy so I am going to make it.
Jun 12, 2017
Made this last night using Cajun seasoning. I used fresh shrimp, cleaned and marinated it in the seasoning while prepping the other ingredients. Also added andouille sausage. It was, as my neighbor put it "off the chain". I did think it was a bit salty so next time I'll probably use sodium free chicken broth but I will definitely be making this again!
Feb 19, 2016
Absolutely delicious, but with almost 1,900 mg of sodium per serving, I will only make this on rare occasions. That is nearly one full day's worth of salt.
Jan 11, 2016
Made this tonight for dinner & it was excellent! I used precooked shrimp & saut?ed just until heated through & lightly browned. Adding some andouille sausage sounds good, spywife! I'll definitely be making this again.
Jan 3, 2015
This recipe is soo easy and is delish! Am going to make it again tonight and will add some andoughee (?) sausage. I also used cooked shrimp and just had to heat. Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.