Southern Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or blackened seasoning
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings. Saute the shrimp, garlic and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits and sprinkle with onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup grits with 1/2 cup shrimp mixture: 674 calories, 42g fat (22g saturated fat), 241mg cholesterol, 1845mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2019
This is a straight forward and easy to prepare recipe that even the novice cook could prepare. 15 min prep time and 45 min cook time and you have a flavorful taste of a southern classic. I recommend adding adouille sausage and a little hot sauce to spice it up a little. Have fun with it and enjoy!
Dec 1, 2018
Flavorful shrimp and creamy grits make this a great comfort food recipe!
Oct 27, 2018
Fabulous recipe Mandy !! Tasty, creamy grits along with beautiful shrimp. I also added some andouille sausage. Recipe is a real keeper ??
May 23, 2018
First time making shrimp and grits and this recipe was awesome! So much flavor and easy to make. I'll definitely be making this again... very soon!
Feb 16, 2018
This is very good and simple to make. This is the first time I have had shrimp and grits. Will be fixing again.
Jan 2, 2018
This is very good. I used a blackened spice that I made. The only other time I have had shrimp & grits was in Nashville, I do believe this was better. I also fixed a corn cake to go as a side.
Jul 7, 2017
Excellent and easy! Have made three times in a month because my son loves it and requests it.
Jul 1, 2017
Jun 28, 2017
Hmm Looks very nice.Thanks to add this shrimp recipe.This recipe is easy so I am going to make it.
Jun 12, 2017
Made this last night using Cajun seasoning. I used fresh shrimp, cleaned and marinated it in the seasoning while prepping the other ingredients. Also added andouille sausage. It was, as my neighbor put it "off the chain". I did think it was a bit salty so next time I'll probably use sodium free chicken broth but I will definitely be making this again!