Bayou Country Seafood Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 4 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add soup and shrimp; cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the rice, crab, bread cubes, cream, onion tops and seasonings.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Jan 28, 2014
I think we might be the only ones to try this that didn't really care too much for it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this just didn't impress us. It looks like a lot of other folks have loved this recipe, so don't let my one "meh" review scare you away. It was edible...just didn't suit our tastes.
Apr 3, 2013
I made a few alterations and doubled the recipe, it was a hit! I omitted the bread cubes and added shredded cheddar towards the end of baking. I used imitation crab and shrimp, another time shrimp & scallops all was very good.
Feb 4, 2012
My family says this recipe is a keeper. I used all shrimp since that is our favorite sea food and it was delicious.
Feb 3, 2012
The family loved this. I used lobster, crab, and shrimp. Next time I will leave out the bread, it doesn't need it.
Oct 10, 2011
Fabulous! i doubled recipe for thanksgiving dinner and took KarenML's suggestion, 2lbs shrimp and 1lb scallops and omitted crab. used ritz cracker topping. the dish received rave reviews from my family. my niece said it tastes like the Outer Banks Sampler at Red Lobster. Highly Recommend this one!
Jun 14, 2009
This is an awesome recipe! I absolutely loved it and so did everyone who ate some. I will definitely make this again and again!
Feb 10, 2009
OMG this was sooooo good! I made this for my sister's birthday and I DOUBLED it, we love leftovers. I used two pounds of shrimp and a pound of bay scallops and no crab meat. I also cooked extra rice which I added after adding all the other ingredients.
Jul 31, 2008
Excellent!On my second attempt, I added about one-half pound browned andouille sausage. It was even better if that's possible!
Feb 8, 2008
YUM! copying and saving Thanks debhaase for your remarks on the ingredients....marking on my printed copy Gina
Feb 5, 2008
use 1 pint of half and half instead of 3/4calso, use crushed ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs for topping
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.