Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits
I was born and raised in the South. A few years ago I moved to Pennsylvania, where good southern comfort food was hard to find. So I created these creamy, smoky cajun shrimp and grits to remind me of home. —Kailey Thompson, Palm Bay, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and butter until melted; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir shrimp in bacon drippings until shrimp turn pink, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in Cajun seasoning and parsley.
- Divide grits among 8 serving bowls; top with shrimp mixture and the bacon.