Creamy, Cheesy Grits with Curried Poached Eggs
I first tried curried poached eggs when I lived in Germany. It was delicious with that rich, runny yolk, and serving it over cheesy grits seemed to be the next best move. I'm happy to say my inkling was right. —Shannon Copley, Upper Arlington, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking corn grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 large eggs
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced chives or parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In same saucepan over medium heat, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7 minutes. Add cheeses, salt and pepper; stir well. Cover and remove from heat.
- Place 2-3 in. water in a large saucepan or skillet with high sides. Stir in vinegar and curry powder. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break each cold egg into a separate small bowl; one at a time, hold bowls close to surface of water, and slip eggs into water.
- Cook eggs, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water.
- Meanwhile, divide grits evenly among 4 bowls. Place 1 egg on top of each serving of grits; top with chopped bacon and, if desired, additional shredded cheese. Sprinkle with chives or parsley. Serve immediately.