Ragin’ Cajun Eggplant and Shrimp Skillet
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked shell-on shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and green pepper; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Saute 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings. Add shrimp and bread crumbs; saute 5 minutes longer, stirring well.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove skillet from oven; top with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 399 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Feb 16, 2020
Nice way to use eggplant. Made for the two of us, I did use a whole eggplant. Used a 1/2 red pepper, and subbed grape tomatoes cut in thirds. I also "roasted" about 1.5 Tbs of tomato paste which I cooked with the oil to start, then added the celery, pepper, and tomatoes. Didn't change the process, except that, since I was using fully cooked shrimp, I left them out for the first 25 min bake, then folded them into the mix, sprinkled only 1/2 cup shredded cheese on that, then sprinkled the bread crumbs on top. Gave all that a low broil until the bread crumbs were crispy. I'll make this again.
Jan 25, 2019
This was excellent... the only modifications I made was to cut back the red pepper to 1/4 tsp and using a seafood medley mix of shrimp, artificial crab, clams, etc. It still had a bite without being too hot. Will definitely be making this again.
Sep 3, 2017
I was a little hesitant to make this recipe but so glad I tried it. It was DELICIOUS. Definitely spicy!!! I used fresh eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes from my garden and fresh mozzarella. Next time I plan to double all ingredients so we have leftovers. It would taste great served over rice as well. My husband also thought to substitute red pepper flakes with hot sausage. Give it a try. You really enjoy this meal.