Cajun Corn Soup with Shrimp
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 quarts hot water or heated chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 8 cups cut corn or 4 cans (16 ounces each) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine oil and flour until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until mixture is reddish-brown (the color of a penny). Add onion and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Increase heat to high. Add hot water or broth, tomatoes and corn. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Oct 12, 2011
After my husband and I finished adding to this base soup, it was wonderful. We added the following:Cumin, Anchco chile pepper powder, Chipotle chile pepper powder, fresh grated nutmeg, Chipotle All purpose Seasoning, 2 whole cloves, diced garlic, 1 1/2 qts of chicken stock + 1/2 bottle Bud Light Wheat beer, fresh corn cut off cobb + 1 cobb, frozen sliced okra, one grilled pablano pepper (including seeds), sliced whole canned tomatoes along with juice.Being from East Texas, I felt this needed a little "cajun" spicing up. When making the roux, I used half oil and half butter. Just before the roux was the perfect color, I added the dry seasonings while it finished. Then I added the onion and garlic until softened.I followed the receipt somewhat after that (adding liquids, celery and tomatoes but held off on corn but added okra at this time.After the soup came to a full boil, then I added the fresh corn along with one of the corn cobbs left over.The other change I made was with the "meat". Prior to making the roux, I sauteed alligator/pork sausage (cut up in small bites) in butter then added the shrimp to this and sauteed for about 2 min. With this mixture I added pepper only.After the soup simmered for 15 min., as directed, I added the shrimp and sausage mixture along with any butter drippings left in the pan.