Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next 9 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp turn pink, 7-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 270 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 30, 2017
We have fixed this many times. This is classic cajun dish that taste wonderful!!
Jan 2, 2017
This was a simple, delisous meal, but it didn't have that wow factor. I think 1/2 - 1 tsp. Old bay and hot sauce could set this jambalaya over the edge.
Aug 25, 2016
I made this in a slow cooker and it turned out yummy! I used chicken broth instead of beef broth, and I used chicken and kielbassa for the meats. I also added some creole seasoning. Don't put rice in slow cooker, just serve with rice on the side.
Jul 29, 2016
Good rendition of a Louisiana classic. I also used andouille sausage instead of the ham, which added plenty of salt to the dish as a whole. I put in Cajun seasoning instead of the chili pepper for more authenticity. The family liked it and would eat it again. I think the amount of liquids provided the right amount for the rice--mine was not dry.
May 3, 2015
This took another full cup of water to get the rice to cook and still was too tomato-y for me. Very sweet and not much else; lacked flavor and needed lots more herbs or salt or something. Probably won't try again.
Mar 14, 2015
This was excellent. It actually tasted better the second day. Very easy to make.
Dec 6, 2014
The whole family loved it!!
Feb 23, 2014
I've been making this recipe for years. We love it, I put andoulee sausage in it instead of ham I think it gives it quite a kick!
May 20, 2013
real good used sausage instead of ham.fantastic..
Jun 21, 2011
This was a really easy meal to fix. All 3 children ate this dish. You can substitute chicken or sausages quite easily for those with shellfish allergies. Very easy on the calories as well.