Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, chicken, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until chicken is browned. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and simmer for 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve over rice, if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled jambalaya in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Apr 14, 2018
Absolutely LOVE this recipe . I’m highly allergic to seafood so I opt out of that, but use andouille sausage instead and added 2 bay leaves. I will make this always, now. Yum-O
Feb 24, 2018
So quick and easy to make, and wonderful flavor! I serve over rice. Since we enjoy some zip, I sometimes use Andouille sausage in place of the polish sausage. This is a regular addition to my menu rotation.
Jan 12, 2015
This was great! I made a couple of changes - used Johnsonville Andouille sausage, no hot sauce because I was out of it, and only 1/8 of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. We'll definitely make it again the same way except to cut back a little more on the cayenne. I made 7 cups of white rice and once both were done cooking I mixed them together in the Dutch oven and served from there. My husband and I both liked it a lot and I already know that I'm going to make it for company.
Apr 28, 2014
Made this according to the recipe.., was thinking there would be some left over to freeze... nope, none left!!
Jun 11, 2013
I've tried a few jambalaya recipes, none of which really appealed to me. This one, however, is excellent! I used leftover roasted chicken & left out the shrimp, as I didn't have any on hand. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. We gobbled it up! We love Cajun-style food, so I'm very pleased that I now have a jambalaya recipe to add to our dinner rotation.
Jun 25, 2012
This is the best jambalaya I have ever tasted. Will definitely make again.
Mar 17, 2012
Totally loved this Jambalya. Easy to make and delicious.
Feb 14, 2012
This was the best jambalaya I have found so far. I have made several recently, all different recipes, and this is the best. Next time, the only thing I would do differently is use tomatoes with chiles instead of plain diced tomatoes..
Dec 2, 2011
LOVE IT!!! Reminds me of Po' Folks gumbo!
Jun 2, 2011
great comfort food. easy to make. will make again.