Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup each chopped green onions, celery and green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, sugar, bouillon, basil and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and ham. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 240 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 8, 2011
I made this tonight for our "Fat Tuesday" Dinner and it was great. I made it exactly as the recipe was printed. I did add some more juice from the stewed tomatoes towards the end so it was a little saucier. The spice was perfect for us as we don't like really spicy dishes so add more hot sauce if you like things spicy! Great dish and will make again.
Nov 19, 2009
A very tasty recipe. I have doubled the recipe and made it for company and received many compliments on it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.