Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, green pepper, celery, jalapenos and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, water, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 229 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 5, 2018
I have been making this for years when it was first published in the magazine, I love that it is a lightened up version. The only thing I add to this delicious dish is 3 whole cloves & cut up 1/2 of a kielbasa. Sometimes I use light kielbasa to keep the fat amount down & sometimes I use regular to give it more heartiness. I take the cloves out before serving, it adds a richness & depth of flavor. I have made this for parties served in a crockpot with the rice combined or I add the rice to the bowl & ladle the jambalaya over the rice just before serving. Keeper recipe!
Jul 29, 2012
Simple, and tasty!
Feb 19, 2011
SO GOOD! Thank you
Apr 6, 2010
This was good but it didn't have much kick. I had to add creole seasoning to taste to give it more flavor. I also added smoked sausage to give it a little more flavor.
Oct 18, 2009
Very good. I used 14oz of smoked turkey sausage in place of the chicken, reduced the onion to 1/2 large, and added 1/4 tsp. of dried red pepper in place of the jalapeno peppers and cayenne to reduce the heat for the kids. Still very flavorful! Excellent with corn bread and honey butter.
Sep 9, 2009
Very good but I ended up adding more jalepenos and cayenne pepper to add more heat.
Mar 10, 2009
This is good with diced ham instead of chicken as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.