Easy Shrimp Jambalaya
This Southern dish is my family's favorite. They love the hearty combination of sausage, shrimp and rice. I appreciate the fact that it cooks in one pot for a marvelous meal.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned; drain. Stir in onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, ham, rice, bay leaf and thyme; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 330 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 1125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Jambalaya in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.