Easy Shrimp Jambalaya
This Southern dish is my family's favorite. They love the hearty combination of sausage, shrimp and rice. I appreciate the fact that it cooks in one pot for a marvelous meal.
- 3/4 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned; drain. Stir in onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, ham, rice, bay leaf and thyme; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove bay leaf.
1 cup: 330 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 1125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC