This Southern dish is my family's favorite. They love the hearty combination of sausage, shrimp and rice. I appreciate the fact that it cooks in one pot for a marvelous meal.
Recommended: 34 Best Mardi Gras Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned; drain. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, broth, ham, rice, bay leaf and thyme; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove bay leaf. Microwave Directions: In a 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish, combine sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic; cover and cook on high for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, ham, rice, bay leaf and thyme; cover and cook on high for 14-15 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook on high for 3 minutes. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. This recipe was tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Jambalaya in Country Pork 1996, p57