Easy Coconut Shrimp
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce, plum sauce or Dijon mustard, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, seasoning, egg and pineapple juice until smooth. Place coconut in a shallow bowl. Dip shrimp into batter, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce or mustard if desired.
May 17, 2018
My husband made this recipe last night with jumbo gulf shrimp. If I could give this recipe a 10, I would! I made a simple sauce from apricot jam and added a touch of horseradish. I could have this dish at least once a week!
Oct 9, 2010
It works the best with Jumbo Shrimp. It was the best shrimp I ever tasted, and the recipe turned out great. I mixed Apricot jam with honey for the dipping sauce.
Aug 27, 2010
The batter and coconut would not stick to the shrimp at all. It was a big mess.
Jul 17, 2008
and it taste really good