Quick & Easy New Orleans Shrimp
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; cook 2-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups with 3/4 cup cooked rice: 371 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2016
This was a nice change for our family menu, and easy! I used two bags of shrimp-extra small, but kept the rest of the recipe the same. Cooked up some frozen perogies, and we were set!
Feb 1, 2016
This was quick & yummy. I only had regular tomato sauce so added some basil ad oregano to make it "Italian." Also added another additional can of diced tomatoes to make it thinner so it would soak into the rice.