Quick Shrimp Gumbo
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- Lemon slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lemon slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 246 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 1211mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 28, 2014
This is bound to be a tasty recipe, but it is NOT gumbo. It only fulfills one of three criteria to be a gumbo. It does contain a version of the "trinity" - it contains garlic, onion, and green pepper. This is the least of the three requirements.The other two requirements are that it must contain a roux, which is flour browned in oil or shortening. It must also contain either okra or file' (powdered sassafras leaves). The combination of the roux and either okra or file' create the consistency required to make it a gumbo.Usually, okra gumbo also contains tomato and file' gumbo does not contain tomato.From there, the decision of meats and seafood are a matter of choice.Me, I like to use extra virgin olive oil to brown the roux, parsley as opposed to the green pepper in the trinity and choose from dark meat turkey, smoked sausage, shrimp, oysters, squirrel, and crab for the critters.
Jan 20, 2014
Made this for the first time. I used some shredded chicken instead of the sausage and added a 1/2 cup more of chicken broth and 1/4 cup more of rice. Will make it again and use a bit more chicken broth and a little more hot pepper sauce. All in all, was a good recipe and pretty easy to make.
May 17, 2013
Very good, and easy. I used 3/4 pound of beef & cheddar kielbasa (not reduced-fat at all!) and just a few shrimp. My kids wouldn't touch it, but that's their poor taste, not the recipe's fault!
Aug 18, 2012
Fantastic recipe!!!!! Only two things I did different... I didnt have red pepper sauce so I used red pepper spice abut 1 tsp and some creole seasoning about 1 tsp. the spice turned out great. You could still taste the shrimp and everything! very yummy I will make this again!!:):):)
Jan 27, 2011
I made this last night with pasta not rice because my husband don't eat rice and it was grrreat,yes I will make it again.
Sep 1, 2010
Even though this was easy, it turned out great! I added more rice the second time I made it though.
May 10, 2009
Very good recipe, I also used beef broth instead of chicken, that was tasty as well
Jan 7, 2009
I was so surpised at how quickly this dish went together. It's so hearty after a long day. I didn't put the rice in the soup, I used leftover rice, heated it up, scooped about 1/2 c. in a bowl and dished gumbo over it. All my boys loved it. Daddy down to my 2nd grader.
Jun 1, 2008
This is definitely a keeper! De-Lish!!