- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked skinless turkey breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 10 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine salt and peppers; sprinkle over turkey. In a Dutch oven, brown turkey in 2 tablespoons oil; remove with a slotted spoon. Add remaining 6 tablespoons oil and flour, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits. Cook over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes until dark brown in color, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Return turkey to pan; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until turkey is tender. Add okra and green onions; simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer until shrimp turn pink, 4-5 minutes. Serve over rice.
1 cup with 1/2 cup rice: 381 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.