Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove rabbit. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Stir in okra; bring to a boil. Serve in bowls over rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 452 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2015
A big hit. It was gone in no time
Nov 25, 2012
I've made this recipe with rabbit and squirrel, depending on my luck hunting. It's always a big hit with the family and friends brave, and fortunate enough to try it.