Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove rabbit. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Stir in okra; bring to a boil. Serve in bowls over rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 452 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Feb 26, 2015
A big hit. It was gone in no time
Nov 25, 2012
I've made this recipe with rabbit and squirrel, depending on my luck hunting. It's always a big hit with the family and friends brave, and fortunate enough to try it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.