Sausage & Chicken Gumbo
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- Hot cooked rice
- In a heavy saucepan, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until light brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes (do not burn). Gradually stir in 3 cups broth; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in sausage, vegetables, garlic and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Stir in chicken and remaining broth; heat through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 427 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1548mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 24, 2018
Yum. Added to recipe rotation list. I was in search of a recipe that i had all the ingrediants and I came across this one. I had jalapeno sausage from Costco, that was way too hot to eat on its own, and I used in this recipe and it was perfect. I cooked the sausage and deducted the rendered fat from the fat in the receipe. I also used half of the sausage called for inthe recipe and cut the pieces smaller.
Jan 11, 2018
This turned out really, really good! The only thing I will do differently next time will be to brown the sausage a little before adding the liquid.
Mar 18, 2017
Made this with 1/2 cup of rice added to the slow cooker with all of the chicken broth & chicken breast from the start. And NO okra!