Sausage & Chicken Gumbo
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- Hot cooked rice
- In a heavy saucepan, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until light brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes (do not burn). Gradually stir in 3 cups broth; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in sausage, vegetables, garlic and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Stir in chicken and remaining broth; heat through. Serve with rice. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 427 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1548mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 11, 2018
This turned out really, really good! The only thing I will do differently next time will be to brown the sausage a little before adding the liquid.
Mar 18, 2017
Made this with 1/2 cup of rice added to the slow cooker with all of the chicken broth & chicken breast from the start. And NO okra!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.