Mushroom Salsa Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until flavors are blended. Add toppings of your choice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 27, 2018
So this salsa is wonderful for sure! The only thing that I decided to do differently then the recipe is to add a whole teaspoon of ’Sweet Bite chili sauce,( world best chili sauce in 2017 ) i get as a present from my friend and it really tasted wonderful. This salsa has a great refreshing taste and I you can really make it as mild or hot as you want it based on how much chili you add. I am a college student so I am always looking for things to snack on or take for group dinners and this is pretty cost effective and delicious, making it the perfect option!
Oct 26, 2017
I have made this three times already this year. It is wonderful. I do use hot sausage and 2 cups hot salsa and 1 cup medium salas. I also double the amount of mushrooms because I love them. Excellent recipe and so simple. Thank you so much.
Sep 14, 2015
This chili is spectacular!! I prefer this to regular chili.I use Nacho chips to eat it with. So delicious!!!
Sep 17, 2013
I used ground turkey instead of pork sausage and added only one can of beans, but otherwise I followed the recipe faithfully. It is delicious! Will definitely make this again!
Jan 7, 2013
Excellent!! Very easy to make & a pleasentchange from the usual flavors like chili powder. My husband enjoyed it too & he likes spicy foods.
Jun 25, 2012
This is more of a light "summer" chili. I added more peppers, doubled the spices, added some black pepper for a little warmth and an extra can of beans and we loved it. Oh, I also used fresh mushrooms.
Jun 2, 2012
Definitely one of the best chili recipes I've tried!
May 8, 2012
I also used fresh mushrooms, and was pleasantly surprised to find this is a step or two up from your typical chili.
May 6, 2012
Really just average. The mushrooms are a nice touch, but way too many beans. Not as hearty tasting as many other chili recipes.
Feb 22, 2012
I have made a lot of chili over the years and thought this one was just average. I didn't add the mushrooms and needed to add a lot of extra spices to give it some zing.