Mushroom Salsa Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until flavors are blended. Add toppings of your choice.
Apr 27, 2018
So this salsa is wonderful for sure! The only thing that I decided to do differently then the recipe is to add a whole teaspoon of ’Sweet Bite chili sauce,( world best chili sauce in 2017 ) i get as a present from my friend and it really tasted wonderful. This salsa has a great refreshing taste and I you can really make it as mild or hot as you want it based on how much chili you add. I am a college student so I am always looking for things to snack on or take for group dinners and this is pretty cost effective and delicious, making it the perfect option!
Oct 26, 2017
I have made this three times already this year. It is wonderful. I do use hot sausage and 2 cups hot salsa and 1 cup medium salas. I also double the amount of mushrooms because I love them. Excellent recipe and so simple. Thank you so much.
Sep 14, 2015
This chili is spectacular!! I prefer this to regular chili.I use Nacho chips to eat it with. So delicious!!!
Sep 17, 2013
I used ground turkey instead of pork sausage and added only one can of beans, but otherwise I followed the recipe faithfully. It is delicious! Will definitely make this again!
Jan 7, 2013
Excellent!! Very easy to make & a pleasentchange from the usual flavors like chili powder. My husband enjoyed it too & he likes spicy foods.
Jun 25, 2012
This is more of a light "summer" chili. I added more peppers, doubled the spices, added some black pepper for a little warmth and an extra can of beans and we loved it. Oh, I also used fresh mushrooms.
Jun 2, 2012
Definitely one of the best chili recipes I've tried!
May 8, 2012
I also used fresh mushrooms, and was pleasantly surprised to find this is a step or two up from your typical chili.
May 6, 2012
Really just average. The mushrooms are a nice touch, but way too many beans. Not as hearty tasting as many other chili recipes.
Feb 22, 2012
I have made a lot of chili over the years and thought this one was just average. I didn't add the mushrooms and needed to add a lot of extra spices to give it some zing.