Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- Grill tomatoes and jalapeno, covered, over medium-hot heat for 8-12 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally. Immediately place in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skins. Discard stem and seeds from jalapeno; cut tomatoes into fourths. Set jalapeno and tomatoes aside.
- Place the cilantro, onions and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the chipotle pepper, tomatoes and jalapeno; cover and pulse until blended.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the chilies, lime juice, oil and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 25 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 14, 2014
I've been told when I have made this salsa that it is better than anything from a restaurant. I like to put everything in the blender together and then pulse it until I get a chunkyier salsa. It is delicious.
Jul 7, 2012
Fabulous salsa! Very flavorful and mild. I agree with the comment about the salsa not lasting a day in the house. Easy to make.
Aug 23, 2011
Was wonderful, anyone have a canning conversion equivalent??
Jun 21, 2011
This is absolutely my favorite homemade salsa I have made so far. Will definitely make again
Jul 15, 2010
This salsa is so easy to make and tastes delicious!
Jul 14, 2010
It is excellent - my family loved it - I would add two chipotle peppers next time to really spice it up - yummy flavor!