Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- Grill tomatoes and jalapeno, covered, over medium-hot heat for 8-12 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally. Immediately place in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skins. Discard stem and seeds from jalapeno; cut tomatoes into fourths. Set jalapeno and tomatoes aside.
- Place the cilantro, onions and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the chipotle pepper, tomatoes and jalapeno; cover and pulse until blended.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the chilies, lime juice, oil and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 25 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 14, 2014
I've been told when I have made this salsa that it is better than anything from a restaurant. I like to put everything in the blender together and then pulse it until I get a chunkyier salsa. It is delicious.
Jul 7, 2012
Fabulous salsa! Very flavorful and mild. I agree with the comment about the salsa not lasting a day in the house. Easy to make.
Aug 23, 2011
Was wonderful, anyone have a canning conversion equivalent??
Jun 21, 2011
This is absolutely my favorite homemade salsa I have made so far. Will definitely make again
Jul 15, 2010
This salsa is so easy to make and tastes delicious!
Jul 14, 2010
It is excellent - my family loved it - I would add two chipotle peppers next time to really spice it up - yummy flavor!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.