Mushroom Bean Burritos
“The whole family will love this. The filling can be used for tacos, nachos, enchiladas or salads.” —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian refried beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 6 whole wheat tortilla (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute peppers and onions until crisp-tender. Stir in the mushrooms, water, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the beans, salsa, chili powder and pepper sauce; heat through.
- Spoon 1 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 310 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Black Bean Burritos with Mushrooms in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010