Chili-Lime Mushroom Tacos
I used to make this dish with beef, but substituting with portobella mushrooms turned it into my family's vegetarian favorite. It's quick, nutritious, low fat and tasty. —Greg Fontenot, The Woodlands, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Remove stems from mushrooms; if desired, remove gills using a spoon. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-in. slices.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms, red pepper and onion until mushrooms are tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, seasonings, lime zest and juice; cook and stir 1 minute. Serve in tortillas; top with cheese.
Health Tip: Making these tacos with lean ground beef adds almost 4 grams of saturated fat per serving. That’s a good reason for a meatless taco Tuesday!
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 300 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chili Lime Portabella Mushroom Tacos in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.