Portobello Mushroom and Cream Cheese Taquitos
This party appetizer was inspired by a dish I saw on an episode of Top Chef. I simplified it a little and tweaked the flavors a bit. These can be made ahead and reheated in a 250° oven for 10 minutes. —Lillian Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces large portobello mushrooms, gills discarded, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Major Grey's chutney
- In an electric skillet, heat olive oil over 350°. Add mushrooms; saute 4 minutes. Add oregano, thyme, pepper flakes and salt; saute until mushrooms are browned, 4-6 minutes. Cool. Wipe out skillet.
- Combine cheeses; fold in mushrooms, mixing well. Spread 3 tablespoons of mushroom mixture on bottom-center of each tortilla. Roll up tightly, making sure filling isn't seeping out of either end. Secure rolls with toothpicks.
- In same skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry taquitos, a few at a time, until golden brown, 2-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. When taquitos are cool enough to handle, discard toothpicks. Serve with chutney.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 375 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Portobello Mushroom and Cream Cheese Taquitos in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.