Portobello Mushroom and Cream Cheese Taquitos
This party appetizer was inspired by a dish I saw on an episode of Top Chef. I simplified it a little and tweaked the flavors a bit. These can be made ahead and reheated in a 250° oven for 10 minutes. —Lillian Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces large portobello mushrooms, gills discarded, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Major Grey's chutney
- In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat olive oil to 350°. Add mushrooms; saute 4 minutes. Add oregano, thyme, pepper flakes and salt; saute until mushrooms are browned, 4-6 minutes. Cool. Wipe out skillet.
- Combine cheeses; fold in mushrooms, mixing well. Spread 3 tablespoons of mushroom mixture on bottom half of each tortilla. Roll up tightly, making sure filling isn't seeping from either end. Secure rolls with toothpicks.
- In same skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry taquitos, a few at a time, until golden brown, 2-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. When taquitos are cool enough to handle, discard toothpicks. Serve with chutney.