Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 5 cups thinly sliced halved onions
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons brandy, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 13 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 13 slices provolone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and thyme in 1 tablespoon butter until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove onions to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms, brandy if desired and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Return onions to pan. Add broth, wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until onions are very tender.
- Meanwhile, place French bread slices on a baking sheet; top each slice with provolone cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Discard thyme sprigs from soup; top soup with cheese-topped bread.
1 cup: 188 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.