Portobello Mushroom Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 5 cups thinly sliced halved onions
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons brandy, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 13 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 13 slices provolone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and thyme in 1 tablespoon butter until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove onions to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms, brandy if desired and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Return onions to pan. Add broth, wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until onions are very tender.
- Meanwhile, place French bread slices on a baking sheet; top each slice with provolone cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Discard thyme sprigs from soup; top soup with cheese-topped bread.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 188 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 16, 2015
this mushrooms are a great addition to the oinion soup. makes it taste meaty and give the soup a hearty flavor.
Oct 29, 2010
Made this soup tonight for my teenage daughter - she LOVED it. I cut the recipe in half and substituted cooking sherry for the brandy and I used chicken broth and vegetable soup mix. The extra veges in the soup mix added more flavor and texture. Great recipe if you have the time to make it. I will keep this one in my recipe box.