Creamy Mushroom-Thyme Soup
I pick the mushrooms for this soup in the beautiful forests of the Pacific Northwest. There is nothing like harvesting fresh ingredients all by yourself, surrounded by nature. It's a spiritual thing! —Kristy Arnett, Stevenson, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms or other wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and thyme; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cream and sherry; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Decadent Chanterelle Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.