Creamy Mushroom-Thyme Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms or other wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cream and sherry; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 8, 2020
It's delicious and flavorful. That being said, there are things I would do differently. I would cut down on the amount of stock and up the amount of flour a bit. The soup according to the recipe is a bit thinner than the photo suggests. Also, be prepared that chanterelle mushrooms are, like, a thousand dollars an ounce. So, I reduced the shell shock by also using Marinake and portabella mushrooms (I made a recipe and a half for a party). I also added a bit more thyme than was called for. I only wish I had used less chicken stock.