Creamy Mushroom-Thyme Soup
I pick the mushrooms for this soup in the beautiful forests of the Pacific Northwest. There is nothing like harvesting fresh ingredients all by yourself, surrounded by nature. It's a spiritual thing! —Kristy Arnett, Stevenson, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms or other wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cream and sherry; heat through.