Creamy Spinach Mushroom Soup
This spinach mushroom soup is the perfect accompaniment to any buffet. It can even be made ahead, then warmed and quickly finished on the day of your party. —Susan Jordan, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, celery and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add spinach; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until wilted. Gradually stir in cream, sour cream, salt and pepper; heat through (do not allow to boil). Sprinkle with parsley.