Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, sherry or additional broth, basil and sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 28, 2016
Very good! I have made this as written and have substituted fresh tomatoes for the canned, and I have also substituted homemade chicken stock for the condensed chicken broth and water. Yummy any way you make it. Perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich! Comfort food at its best! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor.
Dec 31, 2014
So simple to make and super yummy. A warm filling soup on a cold night!!
Feb 3, 2014
Very yummy, used tomatoes from my garden (pureed) and half & half to lighten it up!
Jan 30, 2013
delicious and easy! the garlic and onion really add to the flavor.