Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, sherry or additional broth, basil and sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 28, 2016
Very good! I have made this as written and have substituted fresh tomatoes for the canned, and I have also substituted homemade chicken stock for the condensed chicken broth and water. Yummy any way you make it. Perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich! Comfort food at its best! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor.
Dec 31, 2014
So simple to make and super yummy. A warm filling soup on a cold night!!
Feb 3, 2014
Very yummy, used tomatoes from my garden (pureed) and half & half to lighten it up!
Jan 30, 2013
delicious and easy! the garlic and onion really add to the flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.