Creamy Herbed Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste until blended. In a small bowl, combine milk powder and flour; stir in milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Cook and stir until thickened and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 201 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk.
Jul 17, 2018
Great thick soup! I was craving tomato soup and grilled cheese and this soup looked appetizing. However, I'm trying to watch my carbs so I switched out the all-purpose flour and instead used almond flour/meal. I also switched out 2% milk and used a low carb milk. Lastly, I didn't have an onion on hand, but I did have dried minced onion that I mixed with water and used (I reduced it to 1 tsp though). You could see the flour/dry milk grains in the soup, but I'm not sure if that was the fault of the almond flour/meal or if that would happen again if I followed the recipe without changes. If I make this for other people, I will definitely not make any changes to the recipe.
Dec 27, 2013
Excellent flavor! For a smoother soup, I put it through the blender after adding the milk. I also used fat free milk instead of 2%. I will definitely make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.