Smoky & Spicy Vegetable Bisque
I like to serve this soup with a side of bruschetta or a caprese salad to make a complete meal. It is also suitable as a first course. Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper to make it more or less spicy, depending on your preference.—Juliana Inhofer, Rocklin, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 30 min.
- 2 large onions, cut into eight wedges
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray. Place the onions, tomatoes, red pepper and garlic in pan. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, half-and-half, chopped basil, chipotle pepper, pepper, salt and roasted vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.