Creamy Bacon Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream and broth. Gradually stir in cheese until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper and water until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 592 calories, 56g fat (33g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 649mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Nov 1, 2016
I just made this after I got home from work. The prepping takes the most of the time to prepare this, but it is soo worth it. I used Oscar Mayer Maple Bacon, generic cream, but name-brand chicken broth. I did not have corn starch, so I subbed in some all purpose flour. It became thick and creamy, and yummy. I usually say that the best mushroom soup I have ever eaten was at a New England restaurant called Not Your Average Joes. Now I say, this recipe is even better. - C Hall, Millville, MA
Nov 4, 2015
I've made this soup many times and it is always a hit. I did make a few changes to the original recipe though. I used half and half instead of heavy cream, believe me it's still very rich. I also added about 4 oz. of fresh chopped spinach near the end of cooking , just enough to wilt it. Yummy!
Feb 25, 2014
If you are looking for the best bacon mushroom soup look for further ...you have found it
Jan 29, 2010
My husband and I loved this soup, our young children did not.
Dec 28, 2008
This is one of my favorite recipes from this magazine! Very Delicious!
Oct 1, 2008
We really liked this savoury mushroom dish. It has such a nice smell!You may also garnish it with some canned green pease. Thanks!