Country Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 305 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 9, 2015
This soup is soooo good!!! Perfect with whole wheat rolls, from TOH, and a salad on a snowy night. Thank you, Elsie Cathrea.
Oct 27, 2014
Very good, I've been making this since 2004. One recipe usually serves three adults.
Feb 23, 2013
Nice, creamy soup that was easy make. Definitely a keeper.
Mar 21, 2012
The best mushroom soup I have ever had and all I had to do was reduced the salt for my diet requrments.
Mar 13, 2012
Very nice and simple. I usually don't mess with the recipe the first time, but I used skim milk, added garlic and reduced the oil to lower the calories. Nice flavor
Dec 23, 2011
I did not have celery but followed the recipe otherwise. I did double it and it served 4 adults with no leftovers. I have made this twice and both times it was fantastic. This soup was perfect on a cold snowy Colorado night!
Dec 18, 2011
very good! I didn't have celery so I used bok choy and added a little jalapeno.
Feb 1, 2011
It was fantastic!! I doubled the recipe ~mushrooms and all. My children thought it was "mushroom overload" so next time I'll double everything but the mushrooms. :)
Dec 2, 2010
Absolutely delicious! Will double the recipe next time!
Apr 3, 2010
whole family loved it!