Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the flour, paprika, dill, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and lemon juice (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 275 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1249mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 28, 2018
I love soup! Having had this soup in a restaurant I couldn’t convince the chef to part with his recipe. So the hunt was on. So needless to say I was thrilled to try this on my own. This has some serious flavor issues. It needs more mushroom, onion, lemon juice, dill and parsley. I would use a red wine and beef stock to add flavor to the mushrooms. No one in the family cared for it so with leftover soup I proportioned the soup for seasoning. After all the adjustments it was so much better showing this is a great base soup but needs added flavors. So I would make this again with my own adjustments as most cooks do. Still searching for the perfect recipe though. ;)
Dec 28, 2017
The first time I made this according to the directions. Tonight, I used vegetable broth (for my vegetarian daughter) and added 2 cloves of minced garlic. The garlic truly took it to the next level! This recipe will definitely be added to the rotation!
Feb 20, 2016
This is a wonderful recipe. I did not change a thing. I make many soups, and this is one of the best. We had guests for dinner last night. Rave reviews on the recipe~!
Sep 9, 2014
One of the best soups I have ever had! All of my family loved it!
Jan 29, 2014
Great recipe! Will make this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.