Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender, 4-5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the flour, paprika, dill, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and lemon juice (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 275 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1249mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 28, 2018
I love soup! Having had this soup in a restaurant I couldn’t convince the chef to part with his recipe. So the hunt was on. So needless to say I was thrilled to try this on my own. This has some serious flavor issues. It needs more mushroom, onion, lemon juice, dill and parsley. I would use a red wine and beef stock to add flavor to the mushrooms. No one in the family cared for it so with leftover soup I proportioned the soup for seasoning. After all the adjustments it was so much better showing this is a great base soup but needs added flavors. So I would make this again with my own adjustments as most cooks do. Still searching for the perfect recipe though. ;)
Dec 28, 2017
The first time I made this according to the directions. Tonight, I used vegetable broth (for my vegetarian daughter) and added 2 cloves of minced garlic. The garlic truly took it to the next level! This recipe will definitely be added to the rotation!
Feb 20, 2016
This is a wonderful recipe. I did not change a thing. I make many soups, and this is one of the best. We had guests for dinner last night. Rave reviews on the recipe~!
Sep 9, 2014
One of the best soups I have ever had! All of my family loved it!
Jan 29, 2014
Great recipe! Will make this again!