Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Grill: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices tomato
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Add mushroom caps; let stand for 15 minutes, turning twice. Drain and reserve marinade.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender, basting with reserved marinade. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes.
- Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 280 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2012
We make these all the time. Only thing we add is a splash of Frank's Red Hot (chicken) wing sauce. Makes it really tasty. Yum!
Jun 4, 2009
These were in my family's opinion, a total waste of otherwise good ingredients. they were mushy and did not taste good at all.
Jun 2, 2009
To shoppingaddicctAZ: It doesn't change the taste. The only thing that I would change is, when marinating, only rest the top of the mushroom in the marinade. If you marinate the gill side, they tend to get too mushy for my taste. Doing this does not affect the amont of flavor from the marinade. Good Luck!
Feb 23, 2008
These sound great and I want to try them! I love grilled portobellos! I have a question, though. In some recipes it says to de-gill the mushrooms; this one does not. Does it make any difference in the taste to remove the gills?Lorraine